The Director of Children’s Ministries will guide the children of First United Methodist Church (infants-6th grade) in deepening their relationship with Jesus Christ and growing in a life of Christian discipleship.
Must be at least 23 years old. Should have a college degree. Should be creative, organized, and have the ability to relate well with children and their parents. Must be personable and outgoing. Must be able to articulate one’s faith and have experienced a call to ministry
The Director of Children’s Ministries will report to the Director of Spiritual Formation and the Senior Pastor and Staff Parish Relations respectively.
1. Provide a safe atmosphere for families with children to experience and learn about the love and grace of God with the help of the Kingdom Kids Council.
2. Develop adult volunteers who share the Bible and God’s love with our kids.
3. Foster growing relationships with Christ as children make their commitment to Christ and move towards Confirmation.
3. Teach children the stories of Scripture while emphasizing United Methodist theology.
4. Enable the children to find joy in the church experience and their relationship with God.
6. Equip the children for age appropriate service within the church and the community.
7. Support and strengthen Sunday and Wednesday night ministries.
8. Empower parents to disciple their children at church and at home.
1. Plan, supervise, and coordinate age appropriate children’s programs of the church, through volunteers and director leadership. These programs will include, but are not limited to, the following:
a. Weekly Wednesday night activities for children
b. Pre-teen ministry and children’s ministries on Sunday evening (Bridge)
c. Recruit, guide, and assist the volunteer director of Vacation Bible School
d. Summer activities/fieldtrips (e.g., Terrific Tuesdays, Fantastic Fridays, etc.)
e. Seasonal activities for children (e.g., Easter Egg Hunt, Christmas activities, etc.)
f. Special Camps such as Summer Camp at Caney and Charis Family Retreat
g. With the Music Director coordinate, plan and promote JForce Choirs
h. Provide curriculum and supplies for Sunday school
2. Plan, coordinate, or lead the following worship-related needs:
j. Children’s activity bags for Sunday worship
k. With the Kingdom Kids Council access the need for Children’s Church and implement as needed.
l. Coordinate a “Children’s Moment” during worship
m. Assist the pastor in planning Promotion Sunday, 1st Grade Bible presentation, Blessing of Backpacks and other special Sundays for our children
n. Assist the pastor in celebrating baptisms and professions of faith
o. Schedule & train acolytes for Sunday mornings
3. Build a quality team of congregants to minister and lead each class
a. Recruit, background check, assign roles to new volunteers
b. Train volunteers in safe sanctuaries, curriculum, and classroom management
c. Support volunteers via encouragement, resources, feedback and demonstrations of appreciation, etc.
4. Insure nursery facilities are adequately staffed.
a. Recruit and train dependable workers and Rockers (volunteers)
b. Maintain Safe Sanctuary training
c. Provide supplies and needs
5. Create new ministry opportunities for children and families
a. Working with staff to maintain a year calendar of events
b. Continually assess the children’s ministries and make changes as need with the help of the Kingdom Kids Council.
6. Insure children’s facilities are safe, clean, and attractive.
a. Provide a check-in/out procedure for all Kingdom Kids events
b. Create and maintain a Kingdom Kids manual with policies and procedures
c. Maintain Safe Sanctuaries training, compliance, background checks, and records on all volunteers and workers within Kingdom Kinds ministries.
7. Work with Parents to create an atmosphere of support for Families
a. Build relationships with families
b. Oversee communications with parents on all children’s ministry
c. Work with the Director of Spiritual Formation to create classes/seminars to equip parents to share their faith with their children.
d. Provide care for children and families via hospital visits, cards, and phone calls.
8. Work as a team with other staff
a. Participate in weekly staff meeting
c. Create and maintain a balanced budget
The annual salary for this position will be based upon education, experience, and the Ouachita Parish & Monroe City School board pay range for someone with the education & experience of the hired position. The Director is expected to work 40+ hours per week.